here are a few useful links to Music Colleges etc :-
Music Groups and Orchestras
Solway Sinfonia - "The Solway Sinfonia is an orchestra based in the southwest of Scotland, drawing musicians from Dumfries & Galloway and surrounding areas (Cumbria, Ayrshire and the Borders). Although an amateur orchestra, many of its members have made their career in music and the aim is to attain a standard of musicianship such that the concerts are a pleasure for all - musicians and audience alike."
The Abbey Singers formed in 1962 takes its name from Carlisle Cathedral Close, which is known as 'The Abbey' and maintains its relationship with the Cathedral through making it the venue for some of its major concerts and singing the Eucharist on a regular basis. The Dean of Carlisle holds the position of patron. The choir has earned a high reputation for choral singing and is fortunate to have members who are soloists in their own right. Its repertoire consists of a wide range of music from oratorio to popular music.
The Cobweb Orchestra is a friendly community orchestra for players of all abilities on a wide variety of instruments.
The emphasis of The Cobweb Orchestra is on sharing our enthusiasm for and enjoyment of music. There are groups throughout Northern England.
- City of Carlisle Orchestra - The orchestra performs both traditional and contemporary music
- Cumbria Youth Orchestra
- Northern Sinfonia - one of Europe's most exciting chamber orchestras
- Westmorland Youth Orchestra
- Penrith Music Club
- Keswick Music Society
- North Cumbria Recitals
- Wigton Choral Society - One of the best known choirs in Cumbria
|dots 4 strings
- Publishers of string quartet sheet music for the wedding and function market, with an extensive catalogue of classical, jazz, pop, show, tv and film titles, including free arrangements available to print online now.
Musical Instrument related links
- Allianz Musical Insurance - specialist musical instrument insurers - click the link to get a quote.
- Paesold - German instrument manufacturers and craftsmen
- Stentor - The leading manufacturer and distributor of acoustic instruments
- The Sound Post - specialist bowed string instrument distributor
- British Violin Making Association - The British Violin Making Association is one of the foremost violin making associations, with about 500 members based both in the UK and abroad
and some more!
- Arts Council - Arts Council England is the national development agency for the arts in England, distributing public money from Government and the National Lottery
- Hexham Festival - Hexham Abbey Festival was founded in 1953. Its Mission is 'to provide a high quality festival programme of music and the arts centred on the historic Hexham Abbey, appealing to and involving a broad range of audiences and developing new creative ideas.'
- Brampton Live - Brampton Live festival first took place in 1995. Since then it has grown each year, and is now the biggest folk/roots music festival in the north of England. The festival aims to promote artists of the highest quality, drawing on a broad spectrum of contemporary roots music from across the world
- Lanercost Festival - CUMBRIA'S NEW AND EXCITING
MUSIC & ARTS FESTIVAL
- Sands Centre - The award-winning Sands Centre is Cumbria's premier venue for Arts
- Rosehill Theatre - 'Whitehaven's gem Theatre' .... News & Star